Tuesday, April 25, 2006

it's out!!!


So I went in for my dental surgery as planned on Friday afternoon. I had prepared myself mentally for all the pain and discomfort most people talk about after having dental work done. I think I might be a bit of a masochist, as I was actually looking forward to the surgery.

My surgeon had a very calming voice. Calming in that I believe a conversation with him would leave anyone in a comatose state. Picture Norman Bates in a white lab coat. His voice was sooo monotonic I almost didn't need the novocaine to numb me. But I was glad for it. I think the novocaine injections were the most painful part of the procedure. The first injection to my outter gums caught me off guard and forced a tear to my eye. The second injection he warned me about so it didn't hurt as much. Five minutes later the Dr. announced we were ready to begin.

It's a weird feeling seeing all this work being done on you and not feeling a damned thing. I imagine that's what an out of body experience must feel like. I was awake for the whole procedure, which only took about 30 minutes. My Dr. was grinding, twisting, and pulling and out came the bloody tooth. Wow...that's cool. Next he came at me with his drill...well a drill, not HIS drill. I saw a pretty large drill bit attached to it and I thought WTF? Next thing I know he's drilling into my bone, which of course I don't feel a damned thing except slight pressure. He inserted the titanium post into the bone and started racheting it in place as if he were working on a car engine...that was cool too. I felt the tightening pressure as he screwed the post into place. A bit of cadaver bone grafting around the metal post and a couple stitches later and voila! he was done. Oh, but the stupid dental assistant did clip my bottom lip with the scissors she was using to cut the string. My lips were already dry and parched from having them out stretched for so long. Ahem...they're not used to that. Anyway, luckily she clipped me with the dull edges near the handle so they only pinched my lips and didn't cut. Otherwise, a bitch would've had to been slapped.

I have to wait two months for the post to heal into the bone before I can have my replacement tooth put on. So for now I'm walking around with a whole in my grill. It's off to the side so it's not really noticeable unless I smile widely, which I've learned not to do. Or unless you're sitting off to my left as I'm talking. I had always prided on the fact that my grill was almost perfect. People would always compliment me on my toofeses, but now I'm all self-conscious and shit. I hate it!!! I can't wait to have my implant in.

Moral of the story...kids take care of your teeth!!! In two weeks I get to see my hot dentist...yay!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home