Thursday, December 22, 2005

good for something

It seems these days everyone AND their mom is on MySpace. Literally, I have a couple friends who's mom's also have a profile up. Anyway, this morning I thought I'd search for an old buddy I had lost contact with for about 4 years. I've known him since fourth grade. All throughout, grade school and high school we were the best of friends. He was my sci-fi contact. He introduced me to Anime, the Alien franchise, and Star Trek - The Next Generation. After high school he joined the Marine Corps. I remember we kept in contact through snail mail throughout his boot camp experience. During his initial enlistment, he was envious of me for having gone to college and I of him for all the traveling and experiences he was having. When his first term was up, he went back to our hometown for a couple months. He was a changed man, he was still the same sci-fi geek, but he was just much more serious and according to his mom very moody. He had hoped to re-enlist and join the Airforce and be shipped to Japan, his life long goal had always been to live in Japan. Well, that didn't quite pan out and he ended up living in Arkansas or Oklahoma for a few years. That was the last I heard of him. We lost touch since then. Partly, because I didn't have his contact info, but mainly because it was then that I was initially coming out and having grown up with him like a brother it was just easier to keep my distance. This has been my experience with other high school buddies, as well. I'm only now getting around to coming out to them, but I had pushed all of them away.

So I get on MySpace this morning and I do a search for his name. I scroll down through a few matches then I come across a profile pic of a screen shot of some video game and I knew I had found him. Read through his profile and I cannot explain my excitement. He's still working for the government and he's been living in Tokyo, Japan since August of this year. How fuckin' awesome is that?! That just made my day. So I shot him a message and I'm hoping that I'll hear back from him soon. Fuck guys, you don't know how excited I am to have found this guy. He was my childhood best friend. Now, I realize when he reads my profile he'll find out that I'm gay, and I don't know how he'll take that, but fuck it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home